Thursday, August 30, 2007

Talented Rogues

Parry! Dodge! Spin! has moved! This version of the blog is no longer being updated, but all posts and comments are over at the new location! Please go to http://www.parrydodgespin.com for the new location!

Once upon a time, a young rogue named Valenna picked up the Thrash Blade! DUN DUN DUN!

Thrash Blade
Binds when picked up
One-HandSword
66 - 124 DamageSpeed 2.70
(35.2 damage per second)
Durability 90 / 90
Chance on hit: Grants an extra attack on your next swing.

It was like Arthur picking up Excalibur! From the fateful moment, I became a Combat Sword rogue. Most other rogues went Daggers, a few CrAzY rogues went Fists, but I liked and stayed Swords. I did a lot of damage and never really had to concern myself too much with positioning or other things.

But when the expansion came, I found better daggers much sooner than I found better swords. Until one day, one of my daggers, the Emerald Ripper, was so much better, I simply had to switch.

When I switched to Daggers, my build became what you see now on the Armory.

My blog title is obviously named taken from the quote of Daffy Duck from Robin Hood Daffy. However, as my current build shows, I have no Deflection, thus the Parry! portion of my title may be a bit misleading. As I leveled, Parry and Riposte were essential to survival. But now, looking at the butt of a raid boss or even fighting level 70 critters in Tier 4 gear, neither requires me to Parry much and pretty much everything in a raid is immune to disarm. Therefore, both of these were dropped from my build as soon as I started raiding.

Strangely, looking at one of my new favorite sites, Gankbang, I do fit the Dodge! part of my title. Based on the site, it seems I have the highest Dodge percentage, 36.75%, of any rogue on my server. o_0

Spin! will obviously now refer to how quickly I change my build. After looking to increase my DPS, some analysis shows that the Swords specialization should give me the higher damage I'm looking for. My new build switches from a Combat Daggers & Backstab build to a purely Combat Swords build. I'm also going to take this opportunity to reduce my Lightning Reflexes and move my Dodge down to more normal levels. In the process, I'm picking up several talents for PvP, such as Improved Gouge, Improved Kick, Nerves of Steel, etc.

The swords I'm currently planning on acquiring will be the Merciless Gladiator set of the Slicer and the Quickblade.

Merciless Gladiator's Slicer
Binds when picked up
One-HandSword
203 - 305 DamageSpeed 2.60
(97.7 damage per second)
+27 Stamina
Durability 105 / 105
Requires Level 70
Equip: Improves hit rating by 10.
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 19.
Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 12.
Equip: Increases attack power by 30.
Merciless Gladiator's Quickblade
Binds when picked up
Off HandSword
102 - 191 DamageSpeed 1.50
(97.7 damage per second)
+27 Stamina
Durability 105 / 105
Requires Level 70
Equip: Improves hit rating by 10.
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 19.
Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 12.
Equip: Increases attack power by 30.

I should be able to get the mainhand next week and the offhand a few weeks later. The decision to switch from Daggers to Swords has been a hard one, but it's not as if I will not be able to go back to what I have now if it doesn't work out. The only thing I will have lost is the Arena points I've ground out with my 5v5 team fighting against OPlocks.

No comments: