Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bad Players or Bad Game Designers?

Parry! Dodge! Spin! has moved! This version of the blog is no longer being updated, but all posts and comments are over at the new location! Please go to http://www.parrydodgespin.com for the new location!

Over at WoW Insider, Amanda Rivera reported on a Spanish player, Cach, who allegedly was told by a GM to cease and desist from sneaking around in Mechanar and opening the lockboxes.

I found this to be highly unlikely as there was little evidence, or blue post, accompanying the forum post.

Now, I've never snuck into Mechanar to do this. Mostly because I feel its a waste of my time when I can do so many other things to get money AND reputation through dailies. Still, I have no issues with rogues that do this and I think it's highly ingenious.

However, for the sake of argument, I'll imagine it were true. If this is the case, Blizzard really has no argument with rogues that do so. We rogues aren't exploiting any other facet of the game other than bad level design. If rogues were say clipping through walls to unlock and retrieve the contents of a lockbox on the other side of the wall, that's an exploit. If you didn't want us to get to those lockboxes, place more mobs around them or a mob with Truesight as a sentinel against solo rogues.

I certainly don't want to see this:

Mechanar Chest
Classes: Rogue
Requires 5-Man Group
Use: Gain 1-2 random greens, maybe a potion and a few silver.

No comments: